Thursday, August 8, 2013

"One" excerpt 3 and early review

            
         "One" is completed and has gone through one ARC reader already. This is part of what she sent me:

      "I did not expect what happened to happen. I kept trying to guess, but I wasn't even close! This one was such a page turner. I ended up staying the whole night to finish because I JUST COULDN'T STOP! It was entertaining, mysterious, and sexy all at the same time. I loved it. The secondary characters supported the story well. I adored Nat- I think she's going to be a reader favorite. Love, love, love!"

I'm so excited for everyone to read this book. Below is a super tiny excerpt:  



             "Hey, little girl." I hate that he calls me that even though I'm the smallest person in the building."Ready for another night of hard work?"
            "Aren't I always?" I respond as I come to stand by him. He's counting out bills to restock the register. "You've been here long?" I ask.
            "Only since seven am." It's four o'clock now.
            I whistle. "Ten hours? And you're going to be here until eight?"
            "Sounds like it."
            "Why were you here so early?"
            He closes the register. "Extra training."
            I nod. My first thought about him was right. Anna is grooming him to be a manager. I smile. Good. He deserves it. "What tables do I have tonight?"
            "Alaina has tables one through five and eight. You have six, seven, nine, ten and eleven. Courtney has twelve through fifteen and Mai has sixteen through twenty. We're a little short today so we'll all need to work together."
            My stomach drops a little when I hear him say Alaina's name. She doesn't work many hours and I only ever see her during weekend shifts, but she mostly works days while I work nights. Anna assumed correctly I didn't have an active nightlife.         
            Immediately my eyes find Alaina. She's one of the tallest women in the room, but even if she wasn't, her fiery red hair is eye catching no matter where she is. She has the soft features of doll- emerald eyes, creamy ivory skin, and a cupid shaped mouth that seems to be perpetually pink. She's got the legs of a supermodel, and when she stands, they seem endless. I'd disappear next to her. I do disappear next to her.
             I note that our sections are next to each other, which has never happened before. A small part of me hopes there won't be trouble. She can't hate someone she barely knows, right?
            Another part of me knows I'm a round little birdie, and green-eyed serpents like her eat little birdies like me for fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment